Benefits and Results
“Our software development teams appreciate that TestComplete and QAComplete can be used for many programming languages and from any browser,” says the Lead QA Engineer. “This is key because different teams use different languages for which they need testing support—Java, Java Script, Visual Basic and Visual Basic Script. We also do hand calling at an advanced level, a process that the SmartBear tools sync well with.”
As the manager of a software development team, the Lead QA Engineer also relies on QAComplete to generate reports that allow her to see the progress of each developer on the applications they are testing. And since TestComplete integrates with JIRA, the agency’s source control management system, it helps facilitate the overall software development lifecycle.
“In addition, the integration between TestComplete and QAComplete gives us traceability across different software development teams,” adds the Lead QA Engineer. “This includes tracing requirements, tests and defect mitigation.”
The federal agency now has one single view for the entire software development team, which makes it possible to efficiently manage the development lifecycle of all applications. Developers, QA testers, business analysts and project managers can all access real-time, accurate updates to know when each testing phase will be completed and to forecast when overall projects will be completed. They can also assess if all the requirements have been tested and if any defects need to be fixed.
“The SmartBear solutions present all the information very clearly,” the Lead QA Engineer emphasizes. “We can more easily see which requirements need to be tested and which requirements need to worked upon. We refer to the views that the solutions provide as ‘organized work’ since TestComplete and QAComplete enable us to complete our work faster.”
Software developer managers rely on SmartBear dashboards to monitor testing progress, which is very important during crunch-time deadlines. The managers can see which defects are fixed and which are not fixed to know how close the team is to completion, and to determine when to allocate more resources, if necessary, to keep projects on-time.
“Given the value that TestComplete and QAComplete deliver, they are among our favorite tools,” the Lead QA Engineer points out. “The automated test creation and test management capabilities greatly accelerate how quickly we can move applications into production.”
This in turn means that the agency’s end-user employees—more than 20,000—can be more productive in their jobs and contribute more effectively to helping the agency achieve its mission—serving the citizens of the United States.
- Launch new application project while reducing cost of supporting testing tools.
- Maintain previous software testing capabilities.
- Create single view into testing progress so entire team knows real-time project status.
- Identify new testing solutions that are easy for new personnel to use.
SmartBear TestComplete and QAComplete
- Enables quick creation of reliable, automated GUI tests.
- Provides flexibility to choose from wide range of development languages to create tests.
- Integrates with source control, requirement and defect management systems.
- Improves visibility across teams by generating real-time reports and dashboards.
- Requires minimal training.
- Costs less than IBM Rational and HP Quality Center.
- Enables requirement, test and defect traceability across software development lifecycles.
- Provides entire software development with the testing status of all applications.
- User-friendly attributes facilitate training and high rates of adoption.
- Accelerates application production timelines so end users can work more efficiently.
All company names and/or products referenced herein are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective trademark holders.