Benefits and Results
“We now use QAComplete to coordinate defect management and test management,” McInally says. “QAComplete is also being used by the outsourced offshore development and test teams. This in turn helps us get a complete view of the requirements that come in, the tests that are written for user stories, and the defects that are raised in the process.”
Scottish Water uploads software requirements into QAComplete from spreadsheets and Orbus iServer so the requirements can be viewed and traced in QAComplete as the testing and defect management processes take place. The software development teams also use the 40+ reports available in QAComplete to demonstrate test coverage, traceability, defect trending, etc.
“QAComplete is proving to be a big benefit to our software developers in helping them to mitigate defects and speed up the overall development process as much as possible,” says McInally. “This approach works much more efficiently than before when the testing activities were stored in isolated spreadsheets. We can now more accurately measure the quality of our development and test work.”
Using reports available in QAComplete, Scottish Water has also improved upon estimating the time it takes for testing teams to create test scripts. McInally emphasises that while testing and development teams at many companies focus primarily on test execution results, it’s important to look at the time teams spend on preparing test scripts.
“This way, you can find out the variance between the planned and actual test efforts,” McInally explains. “This in turn feeds into future resource allocation models. If you bring the testing team in too early, you pay for time you don’t need; if you bring them in too late, you slow down the development process.”
Scottish Water uses QAComplete to see how well the development teams manage not only the test management process, but also evaluate how they perform on the test creation process—especially if they spend the estimated time on writing tests. This factors into the overall project development timelines.
By leveraging QAComplete, Scottish Water has created a comprehensive software development estimation model that the team continues to hone over time. If the team has 1,000 requirements to test, for example, managers can use data provided by QAComplete to estimate how long it will take to write all the test cases for those requirements.
“A complicated requirement might require two hours for creating the test script,” says McInally. “We then know how many resources and how much time we need. If the delivery time is six months, we can bring in enough QA analysts or QA Managers to meet that timeline. We then track the activity so that at the end of the process, we can evaluate our time estimate. From that perspective, QAComplete serves as a very valuable tool within our overall development process.”
- Deploy centralised tool for streamlining software testing and defect management.
- Create documented and automated processes for software testing and defect management.
- Enhance tracking the progress of software defect fixes.
- Document how long it takes to build test scripts to more accurately forecast development timelines.
SmartBear QAComplete Solution
- Provides end-to-end software testing and defect management traceability.
- Delivers functionality equal to but at approximately 10X lower the cost of other mainstream providers.
- Features comprehensive software test management capabilities with centralised reporting.
- Enables software development teams to manage, plan, organise and execute all test cases and defects associated with software releases in one single place.
- Offers online access to facilitate collaboration between onsite and offsite development teams.
- Compares the number of test cases created per day to forecasted projections.
- Coordinates defect management, test management, scripting and user-acceptance testing.
- Generates complete views into scripts created and defects identified.
- Creates reports to evaluate how many test scripts pass/fail and whether defects have been fixed or remain open.
- Evaluates quality of test scripts from a central place where the data is easily accessed.
- Determines how well the test management process is managed and how much time is needed to write test cases.
All company names and/or products referenced herein are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective trademark holders.