Benefits and Results
Since the deployment of SmartBear Collaborator, the manager estimates that the amount of time code reviews require has been cut in half. Even more importantly, Collaborator allows the software teams to identify code issues earlier in the development lifecycle—when the cost to mitigate defects is much less compared to fixing defects discovered later in the cycle.
“Code reviews that flow smoothly also improve the quality of the reviews,” he points out. “When reviewers can work efficiently and are not distracted by having to manually track down documents, their concentration is more focused, and they work more quickly. Collaborator makes this possible by bringing all the reviews into one system and presenting the information clearly in real time for all to see.”
Collaborator has proven particularly valuable when developers in India and China need to work with developers in the US. Those based in Asia can create code during their regular work days, and while they sleep, the US team can conduct the reviews and submit their comments to the Collaborator system. When the developers in Asia go back to work the next day, the reviews are waiting for them, and they can get to work right away on addressing any issues.
With a streamlined, automated solution like Collaborator, the software team also avoids situations of implied consent—where reviewers are given a specified time to complete their review, and if they don’t respond, the code author assumes they did not find any defects. “With Collaborator, we can force reviewers to log in and declare their findings,” says the manager. “Collaborator ensures all comments are heard and addressed, and developers can’t move on until they fix every issue.”
Another key benefit for the software team is the reporting offered by Collaborator. “We can see how much time is spent on each review to know if the review was completed thoroughly,” the manager says. “Collaborator reports also help us conduct annual performance evaluations since we can see the number of reviews each resource completes, how much time they spent on reviews, and the number of defects they found.”
Looking ahead, the software team plans to expand the reporting function to help analyze how to enhance the process for connecting technical reviews, and to utilize reports more systemically so they can be incorporated into quality metrics. “The promise of the SmartBear book has truly paid off,” the manager concludes. “Collaborator is key component of our software development lifecycle and helps us produce quality applications that enable our products to perform optimally.”
- Streamline code reviews to help reviewers produce higher-quality reviews.
- Shorten the amount of time spent on code reviews.
- Facilitate collaboration between teams in the US and teams in Asia.
- Enable reviewers to evaluate code in advance of meetings with primary developers.
- Streamlines reviews of user stories, requirements and code.
- Facilitates communication across geographically-dispersed teams.
- Integrates easily with software configuration management systems.
- Expands review capabilities to Microsoft Office and PDF documents.
- Isolates reviews conducted by different business units to protect intellectual property.
- Reduces code review time by 50%.
- Enables defects to be discovered earlier in the development lifecycle.
- Ensures all required reviews are completed before allowing development to proceed.
- Creates a mechanism for tracking defects.
- Assists management in evaluating reviewer performance.
All company names and/or products referenced herein are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective trademark holders.