Benefits and Results
By leveraging SmartBear Collaborator, members of the EMC GLaaS developer team have gained an in-depth understanding of the code that other team members generate. Overall, the team now process coding tasks in a more similar fashion instead of multiple methods. The consistency Collaborator enables also makes the code easier to learn for new developers that join the team.
“Our entire team finds Collaborator easy-to-use, both through the Eclipse plug in and through Web interfaces when necessary,” Mason says. “We can also enforce code review policies more consistently, and the reports that Collaborator generates helps management assess how well the team performs. The extensive reporting mechanism is key—management can access metrics to assess how things are going and efficiently discuss necessary changes with all that are involved on particular code review.”
The user-friendly attributes of SmartBear Collaborator have prompted the entire 26-person GLaaS team to use the tool consistently, which was not the case with the previous code review tool. “When we create a review request within the Eclipse plug-in, it’s now possible to appoint someone as a reviewer and give them full access to the code from within Eclipse,” Mason says. “This works much better than forcing them to view the code via a web browser.”
GLaaS team finds new application bugs about two percent of the time and early in the development process. “We could not generate this metric with our previous solution,” Mason says. “During the first two months of using Collaborator, we found 10 defects before the code reached the compiling stage and was tested in the continuous integration environment. Given that the cost to fix bugs goes up exponentially in each ensuing phase of development, we are reducing development costs considerably by finding bugs during code review.”
By accelerating the code review process, SmartBear Collaborator also helps the GLaaS team speed up the lifecycle of lab requests so each EMC division can run tests through the labs more easily. “We also produce higher-quality code because peer reviews now get another set of eyes,” Mason says. “We thus have a higher chance of catching issues before code is checked in and tested by our continuous integration system. This allows our lab services to function with greater stability. The division research and development teams know they can depend on us to deliver as promised.”
- Improve efficiency of lab testing services to accelerate research and development.
- Increase the software development team’s usage of the code review tool.
- Enable code reviewers to perform entire review process within Eclipse plug-in.
- Enforce code review policies that eliminate off-line developer discussions.
SmartBear Collaborator Solution
- Features intuitive, user-friendly interface and requires no training.
- Enables code reviewers to easily detect changes to moved files.
- Traces code design discussions through live chat that are saved and can be audited.
- Enables users to quickly accept changes and reviews as well as update comments.
- Highlights stalled and poor reviews along with activity statistics for each user.
- Detects software bugs during code review phase to drastically reduce software repair costs compared to discovering bugs in later development stages.
- Allows the lab to function more efficiently in helping R&D teams conduct testing of new hardware and software.
- Measures percentage of applications containing bugs to help management evaluate software development performance.
- Generates code review status reports to facilitate management of lab application development output.
All company names and/or products referenced herein are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective trademark holders.