Benefits and Results
In addition to helping test APIs, service virtualization also pays off when applications are in production. Prior to deploying ServiceV Pro, when application problems occurred, Zurich would sometimes spend multiple days determining if the issue was caused by the network, the infrastructure, third party-integration, or the core training application. Gono and Catlin-Holmes often found themselves spending an inordinate amount of time checking with third-party API providers.
“But by virtualizing integrations using ServiceV Pro to send information back-and-forth automatically and in real time between processes—such as claims and payments—we virtualized the entire API journey,” says Gono. “This dramatically reduces the time and our resource costs in identifying and fixing issues.”
Gono and Catlin-Holmes also no longer have to worry about costs for accessing the many third-party APIs that Zurich relies on. Furthermore, they don’t have to worry about finding someone who works for the third parties to help them when there’s an issue with an external API.
“By virtualizing the core application and the APIs to other systems, we’ve done away with all that,” Gono emphasizes. “Our training environment is now up 99.99% of the time, and if there’s an issue, it’s usually simple to identify and fix.”
Zurich requires the training environment to behave the same way over-and-over again, so that when trainers perform a demo, students can go through the same process and generate the same results. Thanks to a major assist from ServiceV Pro, the Zurich training application achieves this objective time-after-time, giving the training team more confidence in what they deliver to students, and giving students a better learning experience.
ServiceV Pro has also significantly reduced the cost for setting up the training environment.
Zurich uses SAP as the service oriented architecture around finance, and setting up an extra training environment can cost up to $200K. Alongside the FileNet SOA, which Zurich uses for content management, the test environment can cost up to $400K for both applications.
“Adding in the other integrations we might require, our test environment costs can run as high as $500K,” says Gono. “But the service virtualization capabilities provided by ServiceV Pro let us do this for a fraction of the cost, and we have enough licenses to expand it out as far as we need to in the future.”
- Develop a strategic claims platform utilizing the microservices architecture pattern.
- Provide Operations with a training environment that performs consistently.
- Build a production environment to mirror the test environment to reduce management and troubleshooting costs.
- Streamline the process for testing API connections to internal and external systems.
- Reduce the dependency on third-party API services.
SmartBear ServiceV Pro
- Speeds release cycles by developing and testing in parallel.
- Overcomes third-party API downtime, rate limits and overage fees.
- Performs integration and isolated testing safely.
- Minimizes impact of developers on production APIs.
- Saves nearly $500K on the cost of building the training environment.
- Helps keep training environment up-time running at 99.99%.
- Reduces time and resource costs in identifying and fixing application issues.
- Eliminates costs for accessing and testing third-party APIs.
- Enables training environment to perform consistently for teachers and students.
All company names and/or products referenced herein are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective trademark holders.