Benefits and Results
Since Thompson and his team started using Collaborator, the code review process has worked flawlessly. With the new tool in place, 100% of all software code for Aimetis customers first goes through Collaborator.
“Collaborator has also improved the quality of the code that we develop for our customers, and we no longer have unresolved issues involving coding standards,” Thompson adds. “Over time, the entire internal team understands the code better, so we are getting closer to the point where it looks like all the code is developed by the same person, which makes software maintenance much easier.”
Thompson checks Collaborator code reviews periodically to ensure developers are making good comments, raising issues when they should, and escalating when necessary. When code debates occur, Aimetis relies on two designated “code czars” to arbitrate, and the team then moves forward with an agreed-upon resolution.
“There’s full visibility for everyone to see all the reviews,” Thompson says. “Any debates we have are resolved quickly.”
The way in which Collaborator has streamlined code reviews has played a key role in helping Thompson’s team achieve a 90% decline in customer-reported defects over the past four years—while at the same time the customer base increased by 500%.
“The reviews themselves are also improving,” Thompson says. “The group really likes using the tool, and new developers can pick it up quickly. Collaborator works well for everyone on the team and it’s helping us produce better-performing solutions for our customers.”
- Formalize and enhance the code review process.
- Gain the ability to track the progress of code reviews.
- Improve quality of software provided to customers as company grows rapidly.
- Reduce code defects so developers can focus more time on software enhancements.
SmartBear Collaborator Solution
- Allows developers to peer review code more efficiently.
- Helps development team collaborate more closely to produce higher-quality code.
- Keeps team up-to-speed in real time on code changes.
- Provides full visibility for entire team to see all code reviews.
- Integrates easily with Apache Subversion code repository software.
- Allows software development team to detect defects before deployment to customers.
- Provides educational platform for developers to learn from each other.
- Streamlines process for resolving coding standards issues.
- Helps team develop code more similarly so software maintenance is less time-intensive.
- Plays key role in achieving a 90% decline in customer-reported defects.
As Aimetis Corporation planned for a dramatic increase in the number of customers that utilize its intelligent video technology systems, the company wanted to reduce the number of software defects customers experienced. By deploying Collaborator, SmartBear’s peer code review tool, Aimetis reduced the number of reported defects by 90%, which freed up software developers to focus more time on future software enhancements. The team of 19 developers is also now developing code more similarly so that basic software maintenance has become less time-intensive.
All company names and/or products referenced herein are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective trademark holders.