Benefits and Results
As expected, with SmartBear Collaborator Ondot can now easily test code and track the progress of reviews as well as clearly delineate the comments of each review—even when developers from both the US and India are involved. Ondot now mandates developers conduct application code reviews through SmartBear Collaborator as a required process in the development lifecycle. The Ondot development system automatically blocks code check-ins until code reviews are completed.
“Collaborator allowed us to create this as a hard gate in our code-development process,” Bharghavan explains. “Although any system can be circumvented, our developers completely buy into the value Collaborator delivers and stay true to the check-in process based on their experiences with Collaborator. Giving us this capability is critical—even with a small development team, the pressure of a start-up environment can lead to check-ins before code reviews are performed—which can cause major problems down the road if bugs are discovered late in the development lifecycle.”
Ondot also now has code review traceability and metrics for measuring code review time, the number of bugs discovered, and other performance indicators. Management leverages this information to clarify any anomalies in code review time, which leads to improvements in overall code review efficiency.
“The metrics particularly assist us in working with junior developers to help them improve their code development skills,” Bharghavan says. “They can be prone to mistakes when naming or creating very large functions across areas such as quote styling, quote structure, and how functions are invoked. When in a rush and particularly with a distributed team, problems are more likely to happen, but Collaborator helps keep us on track."
As for the ultimate benefit for Ondot, SmartBear Collaborator is helping the company accelerate the timeline for bringing its products to market. “Nothing is more insidious to the development lifecycle than someone checking-in code under pressure right before a deadline without conducting a code review,” Bharghavan says. “If you then catch the problem down the road after more code has been added, fixing the problem becomes a lot more costly and requires a lot more time. A 10-minute code-review with Collaborator can prevent a multi-day effort down the road.”
- Eliminate informal, ad-hoc code review discussions.
- Accelerate the code review process to assist developers under tight deadlines.
- Enforce completion of code reviews prior to application check-ins.
- Facilitate code reviews among development team spread across two continents.
SmartBear Collaborator Solution
- Offers proven track record of success and deploys easily to enable immediate use.
- Supports documentation of other project deliverables that support code reviews.
- Generates metrics to evaluate code review performance.
- Facilitates greater adoption of code review as a best practice.
- Assists in bringing software products to market faster.
- Identifies code bugs early in the development lifecycle to reduce repair costs.
- Enforces code review prior to application check-in to reduce software bugs.
- Helps management advise junior developers on how to lower review times.
All company names and/or products referenced herein are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective trademark holders.