Benefits and Results
During the initial set-up and deployment of SoapUI Pro, the required set-up time was significantly less compared to the previous custom API-testing framework. Since the deployment of SoapUI Pro, the code for API testing is also much easier to maintain.
“SoapUI Pro automatically takes care of a lot of things that we previously had to do manually, such as creating the looping logic to grab each row of data,” the Director explains. “We can drag-and-drop loops very easily. We can also drag-and-drop REST requests and quickly reference custom properties.”
The reduced code maintenance time allows the software development team to focus more time on adding functionality to its customer applications. When a SoapUI Pro test finds a defect in an API, it takes a lot less time to pinpoint the defect and fix it: Defects that previously required a full day to investigate and fix now require just a couple hours.
The API defects identified by SoapUI Pro also help software developers improve their coding over time so that fewer defects occur in future API revisions. The developers can also test for API defects earlier. This saves time for the QA testing team and provides a more cost-efficient process for repairing defects.
“If an API defect does not show up until the QA testing phase, we have to investigate it, write it up, and present it to the developer,” the Director says. “This takes a lot of time, whereas coders who discover a defect on their own can just jump on it—they are already immersed in the code and can fix it much faster.”
Looking ahead to the full deployment of ServiceV Pro, the Director anticipates reducing developer testing times even further. Software code will be delivered to QA faster because the developers won’t have to deploy and test every single microservice; they can deploy just one microservice, virtualize all the others, and then test the microservice they are working on.
The developers can also test API responses with different combinations without having to start coding other microservices. This is key because each application touches dozens of microservices. “We release software updates every two weeks as part of our sprint process and want to automate testing as much as possible, and the SmartBear solutions play an important role in this mission,” the Director says.
In assessing the overall value SoapUI Pro and ServiceV Pro deliver, the Director concludes: “After completing all of our research for new API testing solutions and given our need for robust functionality combined with a low cost, there really was not a legitimate competitor to the SmartBear solutions. Both help us become a more agile and more streamlined software development team that delivers applications to market faster. And that is key in meeting customer needs.”
- Accelerate API testing to help deliver applications to market faster.
- Expose API testing to developers to discover defects earlier in the development process.
- Free up developers from deploying all microservices when testing APIs for just one microservice.
- Identify solution with easy-to-use UI tool to increase the tool’s usage among developers.
SmartBear SoapUI Pro and ServiceV Pro
- Provides comprehensive and easy-to-learn functional API testing capabilities.
- Helps software development teams ensure APIs perform as intended.
- Provides API sandboxing and virtualization to enable more rapid development.
- Requires less set-up and coding time than open source API testing tools.
- Costs significantly less than other non-open source API testing tools.
- Automates creation of looping logic, REST requests, and custom property references.
- Allows development team to focus more time on adding functionality to applications.
- Reduces time to investigate and fix API defects—from a full day to just two hours.
- Help developers improve coding over time so fewer defects occur in API revisions.
- Enables earlier API testing to create a more cost-efficient process for repairing defects.
All company names and/or products referenced herein are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective trademark holders.