Adopting a Design First Approach with OAS 3.0 & Swagger
The OpenAPI Specification (formerly known as the Swagger Specification) has emerged as the world’s standard for defining RESTful APIs. When it comes to using OAS in your API development, two important schools of thoughts have emerged: The “Design First” and the “Code First” approach to API development.
The Design First approach, which advocates for designing the API’s contract first before writing any code, is a fairly new approach but is quickly gaining adoption across API teams. In a design-first approach teams are able to take full advantage of the power of OAS, using the API definition as the source of truth for your API development and leveraging the definition to auto-generate source code, documentation, test cases, and even monitors for your APIs.
In this webinar, we will look at the benefits of a design first approach to OAS, and look at how teams can leverage the latest version of the OpenAPI Specification (OAS 3.0), and Swagger tools to adopt a design first approach.
We will cover:
- Understanding the different approaches to OAS
- Steps for moving to a design first approach
- Implementing a review process for getting feedback from internal stakeholders
- Moving from design to development with OAS 3.0 code generation
- Keeping design and development in sync with SwaggerHub & source control sync