Benefits and Results
In addition to making it easier for developers to review each other’s code, Collaborator allows Moore to review the overall code review process to make sure it’s working well and to identify any issues that need to be resolved. He can then easily see if anything is breaking down or needs escalation.
Moore adds that Collaborator also helps determine if issues are style defects as opposed to defects representing broken code. “This alerts us to the possible need of analyzing our code style conventions and how we want to resolve them,” Moore says.
By relying on Collaborator, the Everi Games development team can also identify code that might be out of compliance and can then document the process for how the team fixes such code. Collaborator lets the developers wrap a process around code submissions that are highly important in relation to regulations.
“We can also automate the enforcement of policies such as preventing code from being submitted until it’s reviewed by the appropriate people,” Moore says. “We sometimes find the design is fine, but that we opened a door to a potential security threat.”
Proving compliance to customers and industry regulators is a critical function that the Everi Games development and QA testing teams must fulfill. An internal compliance team is assigned to this task and uses Collaborator to identify areas of change.
“This team also interacts with external compliance teams that act as agents of the industry,” Moore adds. “We frequently provide the results of the code reviews to both the internal and external teams. Collaborator documents how code changes, and we can prove what we did to correct something to prove compliance. In our industry, this is a vital capability.”
As a company that provides electronic games to casinos and race tracks, Everi Games must ensure its software performs reliably and conforms to gaming industry regulations. To address this challenge, Everi Games deployed SmartBear Collaborator as its peer code review tool. Developers and QA testers can now work together more efficiently, and their managers can more effectively oversee the code review process. These capabilities help ensure Everi Games always produces robust software that complies with the strict regulations of the gaming industry.
- Streamline software code reviews so more developers review code.
- Facilitate code review management and reporting.
- Check code content and define test cases during the QA process.
- Ensure developers do not introduce security exploits or potential threats.
SmartBear Collaborator Solution
- Tracks progress of code reviews across multiple product lifecycles.
- Enables knowledge sharing of code developed by experienced developers.
- Ensures dual-authentication policies are enforced.
- Generates metrics to identify when reviewers need to conduct more extensive reviews.
- Allows managers to oversee code reviews to identify issues that need to be resolved.
- Helps determine if defects are style defects or broken code.
- Identifies code out of compliance.
- Automates enforcement of internal code review policies.
- Documents code changes to prove compliance to internal and external auditors.
All company names and/or products referenced herein are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective trademark holders.