Benefits and Results
“I am often asked, ‘How is the website doing?’ by my boss and other senior managers,” says Leon. “It’s something we all tune into because of its importance to the services we deliver to our members, and it’s great that AlertSite gives us the exact information we need.”
As The Blue Book Building and Construction Network adds products and services with new pages on the company website, Leon and his team can easily create a URL for each page within AlertSite to drill down and receive alerts if problems to the new pages occur. The team can also document blackout periods when performing system maintenance so those conducting real-time views or generating reports will realize the site was down for a reason during those times.
As changes are made to website applications and pages, AlertSite helps determine if any of the changes have a negative impact on end-user experiences. Reports generated from drilling down into the data can then provide the software development team with valuable feedback as to why changes caused the degraded performance. As an example, AlertSite once identified a DNS change that impacted the number of users that could access a website page. The developers changed it back, and the page worked again like it is supposed to.
AlertSite also plays a key role in assessing whether the data center that provisions the website has sufficient compute, networking and storage resources to meet the demand on the site by network members. “At one point, we considered whether we needed to add a second data center on the west coast,” Leon points out. “But AlertSite helped us realize our main data center could continue handling the forecasted load for at least a few more years. In that respect, the solution helped us avoid an unnecessary investment in building a new data center and deploying additional IT resources.”
Leon also appreciates that AlertSite gives the internal team an external user viewpoint as to how well the website is working. Between 20,000 and 35,000 members visit the site each week, accumulating on average about one million page views.
“There’s no better way to know how things are working than to view the website from the outside-in,” Leon points out. “All of our customers interact with us now online for all our services, so website page-loading performance is critical. We need to ensure 24x7x365 performance, and partnering with SmartBear AlertSite helps us achieve this mission.”
- Maintain a fully-functioning company website—the primary vehicle for communicating with members.
- Monitor the performance of the website 24x7 with a small internal IT staff.
- Identify website performance issues in real time.
- Gain the ability to drill down into the root cause of performance issues.
SmartBear AlertSite Solution
- Delivers best-in-class synthetic monitoring of website applications.
- Provides an external user viewpoint as to how well the website works from various locations across the US.
- Pinpoints the source of website performance issues.
- Monitors external member-facing website as well as internal websites that help manage IT functions.
- Helps IT maintain top website performance 24x7x365 as close to one million page views are executed every week.
- Generates immediate alerts when website issues occur.
- Enables IT to review historical website performance trends and communicate to senior management how well the website is working.
- Identifies application changes that impact page-load performance so developers can react quickly.
All company names and/or products referenced herein are either registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective trademark holders.