Recognizing APIs as a driver of business and strategic initiatives is a fairly recent development, and organizations have now started to invest heavily in their API strategy.
Organizations that are making significant investments in developing API strategies go beyond traditional technology leaders. Industries — from financial services to healthcare, education to manufacturing, and many more — have seen a significant growth in API adoption.
This has been accompanied by an explosion in adoption in API description formats, like Swagger, which help streamline development and drive adoption for organizations’ APIs.
Implementing Swagger for your organization
Implementing Swagger across your organization’s internal and external APIs comes with a unique set of challenges, especially when attempting to scale multiple API projects across a number of different teams.
One of the biggest challenges teams need to face when implementing an API strategy is ensuring that different team members, with varying skillsets and responsibilities, can get involved at the right stage of the API lifecycle.
Other challenges include:
- Team management and collaboration: How do you work across teams to update Swagger definitions, and write detailed documentation for your API?
- Version management: As organizations continue to iterate on the design and documentation of an API, the complexity of managing multiple versions of their APIs is introduced.
- Secure hosting and sharing of Swagger files: Maintaining a central repository for teams to access Swagger definitions becoming increasingly important as you scale your API strategy with Swagger.
- Sync with existing toolset: Keeping your internal and external environments updated with all the different versions of your API can be a headache for teams that rely on platforms like Source Control Hosts, API Management platforms and automations tools for their API development.
Addressing these challenges requires organizations to adopt an optimal API development workflow, and to identify the necessary tools to optimize that workflow across all stages of the API lifecycle — from design and document to test and deployment.
How can you optimize your Swagger workflow?
On January 25, the SwaggerHub team is hosting a free webinar — The API Economy and How to Optimize Your Organization’s Swagger API Workflow. In this webinar, we will walk through understanding how organizations should think of their API strategy, and how API description formats like Swagger can help.
We will offer best practices for establishing a workflow for your API lifecycle, and introduce you to how your team can use SwaggerHub to collaborate on the design, documentation, and development of your API.
Some of the topics covered include:
- What is an API strategy?
- What are some of the business opportunities APIs present?
- What are the requirements for a successful API strategy?
- Deciding on the right approach to API development
- Optimizing your Swagger API workflow using SwaggerHub
The webinar is Wednesday, 1/25 at 1pm ET.