In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I would like to say "thank you" to all the people behind the open-source technologies that I use every day. Most, if not all, of my interaction with these projects has been in the form of criticism through bug reports. I hope all my bug reports have been taken in the constructive spirit in which they were offered, but I know that sometimes that gets "lost in technology". So, in this post, I'm taking a break from criticism and offering simple gratitude to the following projects:
- Firefox: What a great browser and improving all the time.
- Java: The language, the VM and the community.
- Eclipse: The Java IDE and the platform.
- Tomcat: My servlet container of choice.
- Apache Commons: If you think it should be in the Java class library and it's not, check Apache Commons next.
- Firebug: The browser plugin that makes Ajax development possible.
- MySQL: The database and all the tools to go with it.
There are more; perhaps too many to list. If you're out there working on software and making it available to others, thank you too.