I just read a new report entitled “U.S. Digital Future in Focus 2015" by comScore. It covers the digital media ecosystem, looking at trends over the year. Some of the most interesting items were:
- In social media, my favorite item of note is that National Geographic ranked as the #1 Social Brand of 2014 with 579 million total actions.
- Even with digital media consumption on mobile devices soaring – desktop has actually increased, therefore more people watching more stuff over more platforms.
- A social network I thought was dead, Myspace, grew 469% to 40 Million visitors since moving to video and music content.
- Digital video continues to grow with OTT (over-the-top content) devices like Apple TV and Google Chromecast driving extended engagement of digital video viewing.
- In eCommerce, people are doing a lot of mobile viewing but not a lot of mobile buying- due in part to friction in the buying process.
So how would I sum this all up?
2014 saw a lot of people on mobile devices watching baby animals and posting them to legacy social network sites. In 2015 I predict more of the same but with more Netflix binges.
For more information about the digital media ecosystem:
2015 U.S. Digital Future in Focus
For pictures of baby animals :
Users Like Cool Stuff, But Will They Wait For It?
Just One New Kid on the Block in Gartner’s 2014 MQ for Application Performance
Up/Down Monitoring Isn’t Enough For Your Business