TestComplete Utility Functions vs. Scripting Language Functions

Subscribe to this thread
Feed for this thread Post Reply
TestComplete Utility Functions vs. Scripting Language Functions
Posted on 12 Jul 2011, 10:22 AM
Peter Y. User avatar
Does anyone know if there are any advantages/disadvantages in using TestComplete utility functions rather than the scripting language's built-in functions?

e.g.
to trim a string, I can use aqString.Trim() or the built-in VBScript's Trim().
to join 2 strings, I can use aqString.Concat() or just use the VBScript '&' operator

My thoughts - If TestComplete utility functions are merely wrappers over the scripting language's built-in functions, then isn't there extra overhead in using TestComplete's version of the common functions?
Dislike
This reply answers my question
RE: TestComplete Utility Functions vs. Scripting Language Functions
Posted on 12 Jul 2011, 10:45 AM
Robert Martin User avatar
Community Expert
I know that, for creating Keyword Tests, it's a LOT easier to use the TC programming objects than it is to try and use the code commands.  I personally don't see any real difference between the two when it comes to processor use.  If there is any overhead, on my machine, it's minimal enough as to not even be visible.
Robert Martin

----
Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.

I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Vote for this reply
Dislike
RE: TestComplete Utility Functions vs. Scripting Language Functions
Posted on 12 Jul 2011, 04:41 PM
Alexei Karas User avatar
Community Expert
Also, it is easier to translate the code from one scripting language to another if TestComplete functions are used.
Regards,
      Alex
      [Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================

Vote for this reply
Dislike